Ni!

Sunday, December 10, 2006

2:21:48 :: 21 miles

Long run. Ran with College Guy, Skip, and That Guy. Good times, let's do it again sometime. Run went really well until I started to bonk at mile 17. Held on and tried to work through it. Quite painful, but managed to maintain pace until the wheels fell off at 19.5. Managed a 6:57 for mile 20, then took a 200m walk break and resumed running the final mile home in 6:33. This bonk was definitely more mental than physical given the quality of the last few miles (6:25, 6:35, 6:57, 6:33). Even though I felt like I was crawling, when I was focused and fighting the pain, the pace stayed strong. Mile splits mostly 6:40-6:45 with a few outliers. Pace felt easy until about mile 14, then a took a little more effort until 17 when it took a lot more focus. Average HR 144 overall. Reached average of 147-149 for mile 16 through 20.

Took GEF at the beginning of the run rather than in the middle, which probably did me in. Today just wasn't my day to burn fat, I guess. Good learning experience and mental exercise.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Just a thought; don't you think it is good to 'bonk' on occasion? I have always felt it is good just to test the waters and get an idea of what it feels like leading up to it.