Ni!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

1:22:19 :: 13 miles

Frustrating run. Still slippery. Managed seven miles in the middle around 6:05 pace, about 160 HR. Bookended the faster stuff with three milers at an easy pace. Sick of the ice, sick of six-minute miles feeling like a sprint, and sick of thinking about old goals. My goal isn't to crack 2:30. My goal is to crush 2:30 and crack 2:27. Right now I don't feel like I'm progressing toward that goal, but I'm an idiot. Maybe I am making progress and I need to be patient. Maybe I just can't get there from where I am in 150 odd days. I have no idea. That is what is so frustrating.

Yesterday I read about this 20-something dude from Alaska who got second in the Fargo Marathon this past May in 2:32. He followed that up in October with a 2:28. He's coming back to Fargo in May and I want to be able to compete with him. 20 weeks.

Run Two Weather Supplemental Nutrition Sleep Injury

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so desperately wish to comment. Please blogger-god, allow it!!!

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

uh oh, sick of the ice already and its only December. This doesn't look good.

You'll get there.

Eric said...

Normally we don't have ice like this at any time during the winter. This is a ten-year anomaly.

A typical year will bring plenty of snow, which gets compacted on the sidewalks and provides a nice running surface.

I've got a treadmill, so my situation is still good. I just know what happens when I do too much treadmill running...

Anonymous said...

there is also a guy from Salt Lake that ran 2:24:01 last year at St. George. Looks like some pretty runners this year at Fargo. Maybe 5 or 6 guys under 2:30

Anonymous said...

sorry that last comment should have been pretty "FAST" runners

Eric said...

Chances are, if they are that fast, they are 'pretty', too! =)

I think Fargo is going to be pretty high end this year, with the U.S. Marathon Trials coming up in the fall. I should have an opportunity to run with a couple of people in the 2:26-2:28 pace range. That will be a huge benefit if race day is windy like it has been in past years.

Thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

I ran Fargo the 1st 2 years and the weather was tough. I think I lost around 3 to 5 minutes last year. I have spoken to Mark the race director and they are tweaking the course a little bit to try to help if it is windy again. The Juneau runner was a little hurt last year so with good conditions this year I would think he would go under 2:30. It is a really good marathon. I will be looking for sub 2:45. Best of luck.

Eric said...

Shawn Miller ran 2:28 in October last year, but he said he actually thought he had a better race in Fargo. I think he'll be ready to run fast in May.

It's exciting to see these fast guys trickle in. Every week or two it seems like another sub-2:30 guy signs up.

Good luck with your preparations. If my site stats are right, it looks like you've had the same absolutely brutal conditions we have (-20F for days). How are you handling it? Training indoors, or layering up and braving the weather?

This weather doesn't make you tougher--it just makes you cold!

Anonymous said...

it was -40 this morning in WINTERpeg. I am doing most of my runs on the treadmill as of late. Last week was a bad week of training but I had a fairly good January. Looking at around 70 miles for this week. Good luck with your training. See you in May at the dome in Fargo.
Alan