Ni!

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

1:03:32 :: 10 miles

Evaluation run. Standing resting HR was 50 this morning, so I appear to be recovered, and I felt fresh as well. Easy three miles to warm up in 20:39, then four miles at 5:40-5:42 pace, trying to duplicate this workout to check progress. Each of these workouts comes on the third day after a significant workout, the first, a back-to-back MP series, and the second, a half marathon at MP with a fast finish. Here's a comparison:

March 12 - 5:42(157), 5:42(161), 5:40(162), 5:41(163) | 1:06(120), 1:28(110)
April 24 - 5:42(153), 5:41(157), 5:40(159), 5:41(159) | :42(120), 1:03(110)

Everything is better--heart rates are lower at the same paces, recovery is significantly faster, the legs feel strong and light, and the mind doesn't seem to concern itself with the effort. Put simply, this time it felt like a run rather than a workout.

I did notice the stride was a bit klunky this morning, which was expected after two easy days. I'm happy that it's consistent, and that I know I can do some light strides and a couple of moderately paced miles on that second day to get rid of the kinks without tiring myself. Also, during the cool down, I noticed somevery slight soreness in the quads and ITB areas--probably lingering muscle damage from the half. I've been religious about the cold baths after hard workouts, but I'll do another one today, which will hopefully help speed the mechanical aspect of recovery along.

Good day!
Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

4 comments:

Abadabajev said...

Standing heart rate. I'll bet you're 47-48 before physically getting out of bed.

Nice pics.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

A belated congratulations on the half-marathon. I like your approach to recovery.

Eric said...

You'd lose that bet! haha. I haven't checked in a while because it's inconvenient, but in the past I have consistently registered 40-42 in a well-recovered state. The lowest I've recorded is 37 (not that it's a contest or anything). I have noticed that I can predict colds about two days before symptoms show up based on variations in my morning HR. Pretty cool.

Thanks, Marc. I see you're out running again, and hopefully you'll be having lighter legs soon. In the meantime, have you been spending your days pretending to be Norm from the New Yankee Workshop? haha.

Abadabajev said...

37? Comatose Eric

Your wife must wake you with a defibrillator in the morning. :)