Ni!

Monday, March 12, 2007

50:32 :: 8 miles (4 @ 5:41 pace)

Evaluation run. Traction and weather were good, 28F with a north wind at 6mph. Ran the same 1200m loop as before. The moon was just coming up as I started, in kind of an orange-yellow hue, with just the right amount of haze in the air to give it a soft, mysterious glow. Waning just less than half-full, it made for the perfect 'man in the moon' photo. I wished I had my camera.

Three mile warmup in 20:46, then four in 5:42(157), 5:42(161), 5:40(162), 5:41(163). Recovered to 120HR in 1:06, and 110HR in 1:28. Finished with one mile cooldown in 7:00.

The two evals I have done so far have been in strong contrast. The weather for the first was awful (-9F, 15mph wind), but the effort felt a lot stronger and generally better compared to today. Today I could tell I was fatigued during the warmup, and it really showed up during mile three and through the finish. Mile three and four really felt like a tempo run, especially in the breathing. I have to say, though, that the legs felt strong and willing all the way through the run. The tired feeling is definitely in the mind and body, but my legs seem willing to do whatever I put them up to.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

"I have to say, though, that the legs felt strong and willing all the way through the run...[they] seem willing to do whatever I put them up to."

It must feel really good to write these words.

A quick question regarding Saturday's run: Did you run 10 miles followed by the 6 at MP, or did you bracket the 6 at MP with 5 miles?

Eric said...

I didn't describe the 16 very well...hrmph. It was 16 miles total with the first 10 steady, followed by 6 at current marathon pace.

It was a very challenging workout.