Ni!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

1:03:38 :: 9 miles

Interval workout. The plan was 1000m reps in 3:12-3:15 on 5:00, repeating until the heart rate fails to recover to 120 during the rest period. This is one of those workouts that Lydiard got strange looks about--you quit when you're done. Needless to say, that can be intimidating.

Mystery Coach cautioned me not to be disappointed if I only got three reps, so that told me this was going to be a tough one. With that in mind, I thought five would make for a good day. I put in a fifteen minute warmup, feeling just okay, and then started in on the 1000s. The first two were good, right on time, the third was the fastest of the day, the fourth started to burn a bit, five was more of the same with some wicked oxygen debt, and six and seven included all of the above. Those were TOUGH. Eight was just...okay, I'm hoping at this point you're all screaming at your computers for me to STOP!! Let's look at the numbers...rep time(avgHR)|recovery time to 120HR

3:15(161)|:45 - 3:14(160)|:46 - 3:14(162)|:67 - 3:13(163)|:70 - 3:15(164)|:71 - 3:14(164)|:79 - 3:15(162)|:67

For some damn reason, I started to hit my stride on the seventh rep! I still recovered well within the 5:00 after number seven, and by the looks of it, I probably could have gotten nine or ten today. The legs and lungs were really feeling it, though. The only thing getting me through the last couple was guts. Each rep added about 100m of lactic acid burn and oxygen debt. By the seventh one, I was starting to feel the pain around 300m all the way through the finish. Even though my legs were like lead, and my pace felt like a crawl, I kept clicking off the same times.

I started number eight, did about 400m, then thought better of it and shut things down for the day. One and a half miles on the treadmill to cool down. I should have learned something from the hill workout two weeks ago, and the lesson applied today. I don't think I'm boasting to say that my fitness may exceed my strength right now, and there's no shame in stopping at 'good enough'. I'll get another shot at this workout, so no need to do something stupid today trying to max out. I'll take a solid workout over an awesome workout, an injury, and a few goose eggs in the log.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice workout, Eric. For the first workout of this type in quite some time, I think 7 full reps is more than enough. Hopefully, your legs don't chastise you for this tomorrow.

Abadabajev said...

Eric v.3.05 I like that.

Very nice workout. I'll bet MC chops 60 seconds off your 5:00 recovery next time.