Ni!

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Marathon Practice

Forgot to mention that yesterday was a marathon drill. Each Saturday until the race (two total), I want to practice my planned routine, including eating, sleeping, warm up etc. in order to establish a bit of a habit and mentally prepare for the race itself.

I woke up at 4am, had a large-ish bowl of rice chex and milk, then rested again until around 5:30. The rest of the morning, until 8am, when I started the run, I made up my drink and filled my bottles. I'm using a custom blended powder mix that will provide me about 700 calories per liter, which I will take in from four different 250ml bottles along the course. During today's run, it took me about a full mile to down each bottle, but I'm hoping to bring that down a bit so I don't have to manage the bottles for so long. I'm using wash bottles, which are really nice for directing and controlling the flow versus a typical sport bottle. I need to cut the tip back a bit more to get a quicker flow, and I should be able to get the 250 down in less than three minutes. I also practiced with cups and figured out a better way to take in water, so that was a nice little 'breakthrough'.

No stomach distress or stitches from the sport drink, which was good news. I think everything went as well as it could have. Next week will be a slightly better test, as I will be running the last ten miles of my long run at marathon pace. That should be an excellent test of the drinks and the mechanics of consuming them on the run.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

No comments: