Ni!

Sunday, April 01, 2007

40:53 :: 6 miles

Well...I'm cautiously optimistic after a six mile run. One mile walk/run progression on the treadmill after some good hip and hamstring stretches in 9:42, then ten minutes wait to see if any changes resulted. No increase in symptoms (no pain, only pressure calf to hip), so I hit the loop outside for five additional miles at a comfortable, but relatively brisk pace, in 31:11. Felt good the whole way, with the exception of the 35F temps in 25 mph winds which drove the steady freezing rain into my face.

Experienced a slight tightening in the hamstring for a short time after finishing the run, but otherwise no positive or negative change in the symptoms. Did the cold bath on the calf again just to be safe, as there is still some muscular soreness in the lower leg. Very likely that is from the massage on Friday.

My big problem is, regardless of the fact that running doesn't cause pain, the symptoms are still there and I have no solution in sight. Pain-free or not, my leg can't continue to feel this way if I am going to feel comfortable going forward with training. I have trained for periods of time waiting for 'the other shoe to drop', which it inevitably does, and generally when it does, there is a longer term layoff in order.

What can a person do, though? I can be patient and experience no improvement, or I can move ahead with tentative steps and hope this goes away as mysteriously as it came on. I don't know. One day at a time, I guess.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hit the pool ... come on in, the water's beautiful.

Abadabajev said...

Clever post. But I'm not biting. Not on the first day of the 4th month.

Eric said...

I hadn't noticed that until now. Unfortunately, it's not an April Fool's joke. I haven't posted the bike rides from Thursday, Friday, and Saturday yet.

I should find out more today after I let the PT know that treatment hasn't been effective. I was able to do a workout this morning, but still have the same symptoms.

WynnMan said...

Hey Eric. Get a softball or baseball and massage the living hell out of it, just destroy it with a ball to loosen the fibrous tissue up. I did that with my trochantor for the past 4 weeks and last week it finally went away. I don't get the tightness on my long runs. Also stretching. Sit cross legged and put one foot over your leg and then do the same for the other, really stretches the hips good.

WynnMan