Ni!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Earth Day Half Marathon :: Finally racing! Kinda.

The race starts at 9:00am CDT on Saturday. You can find more info here, if you like.

The plan for the race is to run the first 10 miles at marathon pace, and then go as I feel for the last 5k. So it's not really racing so much as it is a workout. While it will be tough to hold back with pride and prize money on the line (especially if it's raining--I run soooo good in rain), I know it serves the goal, which is to run my best at Fargo next month. My goal for this race, then, is to run somewhere in the 56-58 minute range for the first 16k (not sure yet which marathon pace, goal or current), and then scorch the last 5k, hopefully feeling strong, and hopefully still coming in with a good placing.

Updates to the regular blog will likely not happen again until Saturday afternoon, as I am between jobs right now and I just lost my phone yesterday (bummer!). Basically that means I have no mobile data capability, so no pictures or updates to the blog via phone this weekend.

However, I will be able to shoot up a short text message to the blog after the half marathon this weekend with place, time, and maybe a sentence or two of commentary. I will also have my fauxjack on during the half, which will be uploading GPS data to this website, live, on the race course. I still have a fair amount of programming to do to make it more functional and better looking, but it's good enough for government work. It should be in better shape for Fargo.

Thanks for following the blog. I know a few of you, hell, probably all of you have been waiting patiently, for what seems like forever, to see me run a race and actually do something besides train constantly! Well, here we go...
Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great plan! I was thinking that a 1:12-1:14 would bode well for the marathon. Looks like you're thinking that, too!

Eric said...

I wish I could take credit for it--I've been working with the Mystery Coach for a little while now. He came up with this plan as well as the workouts I've been doing.

If I was doing the planning, I would be shooting myself in the foot trying to run a 1:11. Ah hell, who am I kidding. I would have gotten myself injured like two months ago! :)

I'm starting to come around to being excited about running to serve the bigger goal. I just have to get over my ego and my greed and I'll be fine.

I guess we'll see what kind of 5k I can run tired.

Abadabajev said...

While it will be tough to hold back with pride and prize money on the line

prize money? I want in as a silent partner. Where do I send my cheque? :)

Anonymous said...

best of luck

sounds like a very good plan, keep yourself healthy for Fargo.

see ya at the dome

Alan

Michael said...

Good luck Eric, I'm looking forward to hearing how the race unfolds. After all that training you must be really looking forward to the race, or at least the last 5k... all the best!

Thomas said...

I don't know how you managed to go through all that training without racing a single time. And then you're STILL holding back. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket!

Anyway, good luck for Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Eric, Have a great race!!!

Abadabajev said...

Looks like Eric had a good race