Ni!

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

1:18:13 :: 13 miles

Absolutely horrible conditions today. Several inches of snow yesterday, so roads were 80% compacted snow and ice. Traction was the biggest factor today. Here's the weather right now, about an hour after the run.
I had to wear my cold gear again, although I was able to get away without a facemask. So I had that going for me, which was nice. Enough excuses! On to the workout...

Two mile warmup in 13:01, then two miles in 5:38(157)|5:45(164). This felt good, about the right effort, but it was the first of four reps. Recovery mile in 6:18(155) had me feeling a bit extended. Two miles in 5:52(164)|5:52(165). Went by effort on this one, relaxed a bit too much. Experimented with a longer, east-west loop. Wind was just as bad, and traction was worse, so back to the Homer Loop. Recovery mile in 6:21(160), felt okay. Two miles again in 5:48(165)|5:46(167). Tried to maintain the same effort on the 1200m loop. Traction was still poor, but slightly better, and I could pick the best path after a couple of loops to avoid icy spots. Recovery mile in 6:22(162). Final two miles in 5:46(167)|5:39(168). Extended a bit for the middle part of the second mile (.25-.75) to more of a strong tempo effort, otherwise just tried to maintain effort.

Recovered to 130 in :50, 120 in 1:26, 110 in 2:52 while walking. Heart rates have been higher in general since the three day 'break', and this recovery is not encouraging. I'm expecting I will see things back to normal in another week or so, following a long run and another 8-10 mile steady MP effort. It's amazing how quickly that aerobic edge can dull.

Excluding environmental conditions from consideration, the legs felt like a bit of a limiter on today's workout, as well as the lungs. This is the first time I've felt that touch of fatigue coming from the quads. It brought a little smile to my face--it felt almost normal. The Left Leg was about the same. I felt the hamstrings today more than the calf, but otherwise no change.

Solid workout today, feeling a bit humbled by the results, but also self-satisfied for sticking it out in this weather and getting the work done. Back when I was in high school, Fatboy (frequent commenter and good friend) and I were doing some hill reps out at Hawksnest, as featured in my profile pic, on a very windy day. At some point, probably earlier in the workout than I would remember, I started bitching about the wind, eventually yelling out "GODDAMNIT THIS IS F**KING RIDICULOUS" or something similar. Fatboy let me have it for that, and I've never forgotten that incident. Thanks for the lesson, buddy. Today, I redeemed myself.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Mike said...

The stress of yesterday might be affecting you a bit also as far as recovery/fatigue goes.

I've been wondering about this workout, especially the two "breaks" of one mile at 6:18 or so. What do you think the difference between running 6 or 7 miles continuously at perhaps 10 seconds slower per mile would be from what you did today (and last week)? Is it still linked to heart rate, or are you going by pace now too? Just curious.

Nice work today, especially with the conditions. Google the weather with zip code 85750 if you feel like sticking yourself in the eyeball with something sharp.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you can still push through the junk.

It's a pretty strange injury you're describing. I've had my share, but never anything like that. Hae you ruled out compartment syndrome? That tends to go away when you're not running, so that's probably not it; would be a deal-breaker if it was.

Keep a close eye on this one. A little active rest (including stretching, and if it's not more painful, a little jumping, striding, etc. - after you've warmed up well - to try and loosen things up). Of course, don't make it worse, but the tightness you describe is strange.

BTW - I remember that day at Hawksnest, but I don't remember what I said. Man, that was long time ago.