Ni!

Monday, April 02, 2007

1:10:53 :: 11 miles

Moderate run. Two mile warmup in 13:50, then alternating miles in 6:10(141), 6:25(141), 5:58(152), 6:26(149), 5:48(159), 6:15(153), 5:32(167). Getting weak GPS signal warnings throughout the run, so I was checking some miles manually. All are within a few seconds. Two mile cooldown on the treadmill.

Calf is slightly more 'full' today than yesterday, and hip is slightly better than yesterday. Stretching helped again today. Still no pain, just odd sensations. I'll get another visit in with the PT today.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Abadabajev said...

What happens sometimes, is a spasm forms, the muscle gets all knotted, and it will not release. Veins, nerves, connective tissues, heck the entire surrounding area, does not function well.

So I also use a superball or a golf ball and roll my body on it whether it's for the calves, thighs, or deep into the glutus maximus.

It's very painful performing this type of seek and release 'spasmed' muscles. It often takes me more than two or three sessions to sometimes 'release' the muscle.

What I do is ice the area completely, freeze it up, which stops(slow it down anyway) the blood from entering or leaving the area, then I immediately start the superball rotation. You will know when the muscles releases; it will be less knotty and the ball will have a more fluid rotation. That's what I do anyway for my calf spasms and glute spasm.

PS: in order to release the spasmed muscle, you have to find the knot, dig in there, inflict yourself pain and remain relaxed in the muscle simultaneously. The brain gets very confused.

Mike said...

Good luck with the PT, hope he or she is better than the last one.

Hmm, "...inflict pain while remaining relaxed". Is Abadabajev talking about the last 6 miles of the marathon or a spasmed muscle? I'm guessing both feel about the same.