Ni!

Friday, April 13, 2007

1:09:51 :: 11 miles

MP-10 workout. Went well, but felt a bit flat. For some reason, getting too much recovery leaves me with the same feeling as not getting enough. If I find myself in this situation again, I may throw some strides or a quicker paced mile onto the end of the second easy day's run to see if that helps to avoid the problem.

Mystery Coach had a fever, and the only prescription was more volume. The order of the day was 7 miles at 5:37-5:42, which should have put the heart rate in the 157-159 range. The fit was near perfect, except for a deflection to 161 for the last mile--not sure what that was about. After a 2.5 mile warmup, here were the splits:

5:34(156) | 5:38(158) | 5:37(159) | 5:40(159) | 5:40(159) | 5:40(159) | 5:40(161)

During the last mile, I fooled around a bit with the pace/HR and found that 5:44 pace put me back at 158-159, but I decided running even effort was more important than even heart rate.

The recovery was good today, hitting 120HR in 51 seconds, and 110HR in 1:25. 1.5 mile cooldown. Overall, a good workout. Ran the seven mile segment in racing flats. They felt good throughout the run, although for some reason today I wasn't getting the 'light, fast' feeling from them. Did the cold water bath for the calves and a recovery drink.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Michael said...

You’re looking very strong and steady at those paces and respective HRs, well done today. There’s no doubt that the miles you’ve logged over the last few months have done their job. Thirty-five days…

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Nice numbers.

I am assuming the ice bath was a preventative measure?
How cold and how long?