Ni!

Monday, January 01, 2007

2:31:32 :: 22 miles

Long run. Excellent, excellent run. Shin was sore from slipping around, so I felt like crap through about seven or so. Once that passed, things started coming around. Heart rates were in the low 140s through mile nine, then ticked up to mid-140s from ten through sixteen. I felt the 'switch' again right around fifteen miles--got kind of tired feeling and thought maybe I would bonk around 17 to 18. Instead, I felt a kind of mental fatigue and noticed my breathing rate change, but the legs just kept on going. Here are the mile splits and average HR info from 16-22:

6:48|147 :: 6:47|148 :: 6:52|150 :: 6:47|153 :: 6:45|157 :: 6:46|158 :: 6:49|159

Each mile after seventeen, I noticed a change in breathing rate and perceived effort. I definitely felt like I was slowing down, but wasn't, and I wasn't trying to run faster. I seriously considered stopping at 20, but I hadn't really run past this feeling before--maybe one other time--so I thought I should keep going. By the last half of mile 21, my heart rate was spiking into the high 160s and I was building some oxygen debt. I wasn't 100% sure it was the right thing to do, but I finished out 22 and was pretty damn excited about how it all went down. But too tired to celebrate. =)

Overall, 145 average HR, 6:53 pace. Traction was poor, and based on HR info from the past couple of weeks, I would guess I lost fifteen seconds per mile conservatively. On the few dry patches of concrete I came across, I could immediately tell I was no longer toeing-off, but just 'pulling' along to keep my leg from flying out behind me and stretching my hip flexors and quads.

Felt good in the hours afterward. No cramping, soreness or stiffness to speak of. Had the standard .5 liter of GEF at mile nine, then Slim-Fast shake immediately after the run. Light massage tonight. Hopefully, recovery is swift.
Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

1 comment:

Mike said...

After Sunday I'll admit I was worried, but you pulled out a good one here, especially given the conditions. I guess it just means you have to take advantage of the days with good footing.