Ni!

Friday, January 12, 2007

1:08:30 :: 9.6 miles + 30min Bike

-17 degrees outside with a 20 mph wind, so opted to ride the bike and wait for my turn on the treadmill. Had a good run on the mill, holding a steady 7:00 pace and throwing in some half-mile 6-10% grade hills. It's obvious I need some of this work to get ready for the faster stuff to come, as the inclines pushed my heart rate into the 160s and 170s. Finished with a 6:10 mile or so, feeling very good. Little Miss woke up early, otherwise I would have gotten to ten. Good run.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

4 comments:

Mike said...

Sheesh, I was getting worried about you for a minute there. I guess I should have just checked accuweather.com with your zip code.

I'm glad to see you runnning some hills, even if it has to be on the belt.

Eric said...

Yes, unfortunately it has to be on the belt. At least as long as I am in this part of the country.

The idea about playing leapfrog with sandbags sounded like good fun. Maybe I'll give that a go if the treadmill gets too bland.

This weather is unbelievable, although it is much closer to 'normal' than the 20s we have been experiencing. We're used to seeing -10 for a week or two. It's tolerable for running unless the wind picks up, then it starts getting a little bit stupid to run outside.

I had a good time running on inclines today, and my energy is coming back, so it was a good day.

Eric said...

Hey Rick...good to hear from you! I get the same feeling, as does my wife. The treadmill always seems faster at the same pace versus outdoor running. I've even calibrated my treadmill to see if it was off, but it was right on between 7:00 to 7:30 pace.

One other thing I've noticed is that my heart rate is lower on the treadmill at the same pace outdoors, which suggests that it is actually easier to run on the treadmill!

The good thing is you get used to it after a few runs. Flipping back and forth between treadmill and outdoor running can be tough though.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.