Ni!

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

1:08:15 :: 10 miles + 30 min bike

Easy run on the treadmill. Left hamstring got tight and weird during the day yesterday, probably from the ice and snow covered roads, and just coming off the 24 miler. Damn recovery runs. Did a nice long ride on the bike to get fully warmed up and slowly progressed from 8:00 pace to 6:30 by the end. Leg felt good, no problems. Just a strange kind of tight/sore feeling high in the hamstrings and deep in the hip. Almost a tendonitis-like soreness. I don't think I'll be doing any more runs over 22 miles during this build. The benefit is just not worth the risk. Even feeling strong like I did, it is taking me two days, and potentially longer, to get back to full speed. I'll never know for sure, but it is a good bet that the final two miles put me over that fine line that caused my hammie to tweak on an easy run.

Anyway, it's feeling good now after a nice bike, run, and stretch.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Mike said...

It seems like you've found the point of diminishing returns on the long, long runs. Once in awhile 24 or 28 for a mental boost seems appropriate, but putting yourself out for two days after seems a bit much. You can always beat yourself up a bit more on Saturday and do a little of that pre-fatiguing you mentioned the other day. You know how I love the back-to-backs, it can make a two hour run on Sunday feel like 2:30.

Get yourself right boy, you know how I hate hearing about cross-training.

Eric said...

Or, playing the devil's advocate, I'm just not very well adapted to the longer, faster runs yet. I felt the same way on this 24 as I did on 20 mile runs at 6:40 pace last year. And I wasn't doing hard ten milers the day before either.

I know it would be counterproductive to do these weekly, but the Japanese and Italians, among others, have had a lot of success with these longer and overdistance long runs sprinkled strategically into their programs.

I should be able to see from an evaluation in a couple of weeks whether or not this type of run worked for me or had a neutral or negative(!) effect. I think it will be good overall, but just not worth the risk. The view is not much different standing on top of the bridge railing as it is standing safely behind it, but it is more memorable.