Ni!

Sunday, January 14, 2007

2:18:43 :: 20 miles

Really, really cold today. Minus 15 degrees and sunny. As nice as it is for your mood, the last thing you want in January in North Dakota is a sunny day. That usually means high pressure dropping in fresh, cold air from somewhere around Nunavut. While my wife was tough enough to brave the cold for 15 miles, I was smart enough to come inside and run on the treadmill after half an hour limping in my many layers through the cold, trying desperately to avoid being run over by the good Catholics on their way home, or to a pancake feed, or to wherever these people go after church.

Pretty much maintained 7:00 pace outside and on the mill. Added some hills and dropped the pace a bit toward the end. Ended up being a really easy and refreshing run. Spent some time in the 155-160 HR range over the last 30 minutes. Otherwise, HR was around 135-140. Felt like I hadn't run an hour or two after finishing. Good day.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

6 comments:

Mike said...

I guess me complaining about 25 degrees won't get any sympathy given your weather. Know anyone where you are crazy enough to do 15 miles outside on a day like this?

MB said...

don't the aveoli in the lungs start to freeze at that temperature

Eric said...

Yours might. Mine don't. =)

Eric said...

Mike, I saw some crazy woman out there yesterday. She stopped by the house mumbling something about Gatorade and I told her to get lost.

Otherwise, no.

Anonymous said...

I remember as a kid in your neck of the woods(tundra) running a 9-miler in -15 weather. I had several layers on and a mouth guard. My sweat evaporated through the layers and condensed between the two outer layers of my running pants, so effectively, by the end of the run, my pants were partially filled with snow between the layers, with no hole in the pants.

I don't run when it gets that cold any more.

PS - I like the new look. the picture clearly indicates too much time on the treadmill.

Eric said...

I have a couple of jackets that happens to in the right conditions. I love snow. In my pants.

I was in a good mood when I took those pictures. I'm laughing inside. Like a maniac who has spent too much time on a treadmill.