Ni!

Saturday, August 11, 2007

YMCA Half Marathon :: 1:13:15

Felt really good today, and really had a pretty easy time of it. I really didn't feel like I was racing, and looking back on it, I am kicking myself a bit for not getting myself in gear the last 5k to sneak under 1:13. I have the Beardsley 1/2 coming up in less than a month, though, and that race will provide more incentive to run a fast time. Hopefully I will feel as good or better on race day as I did today.

The weather was okay, about 70F with a 67F dewpoint. Not quite hot, and no sun, fortunately, but extremely humid. I went out with the idea that if the first mile or two felt uncomfortable at 1:13 pace, I would fall back to something like marathon pace and run with Lee, who was out for a training run during the race today. I was firing along really well through two miles, so I decided I would just try to hit 5:35 or better and see how long I could last. I slowed or sped up a couple of times due to slight hills or wind, but my overall pace stayed right at 5:35.

Here are the splits:

5:37(157) | 5:34(166) | 5:22(169) | 5:26(169)
5:34(168) | 5:32(169) | 5:48(168) | 5:46(164)
5:34(167) | 5:31(169) | 5:36(170) | 5:40(169)
5:29(171)

Mile 3 and 4 were just from feeling good and realizing it was going to be a good day, then mile 7 was windy with a couple of good uphills, and mile 8 was just a mental lapse, I think, after being out on my own since mile 2, and having to decide, as the pace started to hurt a bit, whether I was going to keep working or start coasting. I coasted while I sorted that out, and started back in to running hard again. I tried to make a shift with 5k to go, but ended up just bleeding less than I would have had I not increased the effort. Coming in to the finish, I could see that I was close, but wouldn't break 1:13, so I gave a final 7/8 effort stride to close out the race.

Night and day difference from last week. I'm very happy I decided to jump into this race and 'redeem' myself from the poor race. I'm really looking forward to the Beardsley Half now as well. Today will give me a lot more confidence at HM goal pace. Today's time was officially a PR by 1:11, which is cool, however that former PR was in a workout situation, and I certainly wouldn't have broken it by so much if I had raced at the previous half. I may not have broken it at all. =)

Have a good weekend!

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

9 comments:

Thomas said...

Congratulations, don't talk it down, it's an impressive new PR.

Mike said...

Did you even mention that you won it aside from saying you were on your own? Don't you also have the course record? This is the one you measured, isn't it?

Modest and fast as the dickens. I hate you man. =)

Great effort today, this certainly bodes well for Beardsley's half.

Eric said...

Thanks, guys. I'm kind of looking the gift horse in the mouth with the half marathon. I have it stuck in my head that I'm not going to be happy with my half PR until I crack 1:10, which is ridiculous. I am perfectly satisfied with my other PRs (of course I want to get a lot faster!), so I don't know what my thinking is regarding this race. It's weird...from a purely psychological standpoint, I'm more satisfied with breaking 60 minutes for 10 miles than I am running 1:13 for a half marathon. Makes no sense! But, you guys are both nuts, too, so you probably understand. =)

Mike, I actually had to go back and add the last paragraph about the PR. I forgot for a second. I did win the race, in a course record time (1st time the race was run on this course, but hey...), and I even designed the course! It's not certified yet (probably next year), but it is about 25 meters long, so it's accurate with a fudge factor.

I'm very excited for Beardsley now. And I secretly hope I am done with sharpening workouts for a while.

I guess it's not a secret anymore.

Wayne said...

Damn, I'll take a 1:13. Good run!

jpete said...

Nice race Eric!!!

Michael said...

Nice race, congratulations! Looking forward to hearing about your next race...

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Well done Eric! Congrats on the win and the PR, a testiment to your commitment and persistance.

Your humility is most admirable.

Lawrence said...

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on that. For the next one I'm thinking a 1:11 low or 1:10 high, if conditions, competition is good.

From today's post it looks like you've moved up to another level.