Ni!

Saturday, August 18, 2007

1:04:35 :: 10 miles

Moderate effort run. Picked up the pace a bit this morning after several days of easy running. Everything felt great, weather was perfect, and it felt good to put the pedal down, if only halfway to the floor.

Heart rate averaged 139, with most miles in the 141-146 range. I think this week I've noticed another breakthrough in pace vs. heart rate. Most of my runs this week were done at very low heart rates (<130) but normal easy training paces (6:45-7:00). I would be very interested to see what the result would be of running some shorter (1500-5000) track races this winter to sharpen, and then building up for the spring marathon following. The speed that I have worked on this summer has me feeling really good in my longer races as well. I'm beginning to experience the reality of what an anaerobic training period can do for racing at longer distances.

7:21(123) | 6:29(134) | 6:12(139) |
6:23(141) | 6:24(141) | 6:25(143) |
6:21(142) | 6:21(141) | 6:20(146) |
6:18(146)

My wife ran a 10k today, got a new PR, and made a new friend! I should be as fired up for how well she raced as I was about the comments that the overall winner made to her after she finished. To any morons out there, the moron that showed up at this race should get kicked out of your club. He's making you all look like idiots. He actually had the audacity to tell my wife that he *slowed down* when he looked back and saw that she couldn't catch him. Then he went on to tell her that he would have *blown her away* if she would have caught up to him. Fortunately, I didn't hear any of this (I was taking pictures away from the finish). I can say that I wouldn't have reacted well. Cindy asked me not to make a scene about it, so I didn't, but I will make sure I find the next race that jackass is at and deliberately make him feel like a turd.

Plus he took my $75.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Thomas said...

It completely escapes me why anyone would feel the need to make such comments. Don't do anything about it though, you would just lower yourself to the level of that individuum.

On a completely different note, your time for a moderate 10 miler just reminded me of the fact that a sub-65 10 miler is one of my next running goals. I can't do it just yet, but hope to reach that level next year. And you're doing it in a moderate training run. There's just no justice in the world!

cindy said...

I was expecting some high quality revenge ideas from you, Thomas! You're probably right, though.

There is no justice, but there is plenty of relativity. I think the same thing about Andrew Carlson. He ran a 65-minute half marathon at Fargo last year, just running tempo. Totally unfair. If I ever run within two minutes of that for a half marathon, I'll hang up my shoes.

I think you'll surprise yourself in the next year. Your training is going extremely well. Keep at it!

Eric