Ni!

Friday, June 29, 2007

1:15:15 :: 12 miles

Taper workout. Ten minutes easy to warm up, then 30 minutes at 156HR, followed by 10 minutes at 6:15 pace, then 4x1000 around 3:06 on five minutes. Everything went as planned except for a couple of details. I thought I had read 154HR, so I was holding back a bit on the 30 minutes, and on the 1000s, I was supposed to be looking for 'something slightly faster than 10k pace--go by feel'. Well, it was obvious I had no feel for 10k pace today, as I was all over (and under) the suggested 3:06. To the numbers...

5:41(154) | 5:47(154) | 5:46(155) | 5:49(156) | 5:47(154) | 1:11(156) 5.19 miles

Not sure what was going on with the last minute of that run. Also not sure how the HR came down 2bpm and the mile got faster. I *was* trying to relax, and there was some wind, but still it strikes me as kind of weird. I've never had a malfunction with this new Garmin, so I trust it. Hmm.

Too fast again on the 6:15 segment, until I had to run in to use the facilities AGAIN. This happened last time as well, and it is starting to piss me off. Anyway, I slowed down slightly over the last few minutes, and ended up on pace for this part. About a two minute break five minutes into the 10 minute segment, and the HR went right back to 150, where it was when I ran in. Probably not a big deal to have to stop, but I think part of the workout is the continuous movement.

3:02(167-1:17) | 3:09(163-1:05) | 3:08(164-1:09) | 3:03(165-1:01)

The 1000s all felt good, though the slow ones were too relaxed at times. After the 3:02 (I don't think I'll be running any 31:00 10Ks in the next week), I tried to get a feel for something a bit faster than 10k pace, and though they felt fairly easy, they were probably about right. On the fourth one, I tried to recapture the easy speed of the first, but it was actually pretty hard, and a bit slower.

Overall, a really solid workout. The stride is definitely coming back well, and while I felt some of the aerobic strength I remember from the late stages of marathon training, it wasn't all there. I think mentally the 154HR limit may have allowed me to avoid focusing on the pace and just relax, which may explain why it felt so good. The 1000s were very good, and the speed is coming back bit by bit.

The race is Wednesday, and I'll probably actually write a race report this time. Hopefully, I will feel like winding up and taking a good shot at this one. I know I'll have good competition this time, which will make it easier.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

1 comment:

Mike said...

I agree with the mental break from pace-mongering that a heart rate run provides, and I also think it's telling that sometimes just relaxing can bring the HR down while simultaneously dropping the pace as well.

Maybe all this training stuff is in our heads and not our legs.