Ni!

Sunday, February 04, 2007

2:09:41 :: 20 miles

Made eight miles outside, then came in for the last twelve. -15 at noon today with the sun out. Feeling much better today. The cold seems to be almost gone. Zicam is AMAZING. Felt really strong and comfortable through fourteen miles, then gradually started to feel the pace. Heart rate got into the mid-150s as it started getting tough in the last three miles, and went as high as 157 at the very end.

Cut the run at 20 instead of 22 due to the cold and how hard the effort felt at a relatively low heart rate. Just kind of weird. I think it was a good decision, as the recovery to 120HR took over 2:20 and 110HR never really happened--it was over five minutes and it was still fluttering back and forth between 110 to 112. That's one unhappy system. Note to self: don't watch Scrubs while running on the treadmill. I lost count of how many times I almost fell off laughing.

Feeling good following the run. Had a nice light massage and got my recovery eating taken care of. Lots of sleep tonight, and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

5 comments:

Mike said...

Well it must have been really bad outside if even Cindy ran on the 'mill. When I had my last bug I had a similar problem getting my heart rate back down to normal for the first five minutes after a run. I find when I take any kind of medication it kind of knocks my system out of whack.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Scrubs is one of the very few things I miss about not having a TV.

On a similar note I have learned to not attempt driving while listening to a Bill Bryson book on tape.

Eric said...

It was -23F that morning, so even if Cindy had wanted to run outside, safety overrides any concerns about boredom. Running in those conditions for much longer than 30 minutes is about as safe as running outside in 115F. I've never done that, but I assume it's dangerous.

Zicam is not really 'medication'. It's a zinc supplement that somehow interferes with the cold virus, causing the severity and longevity of the infection to be cut severely. I felt the cold coming on Friday, started the zinc every three hours, by Saturday morning had a horrible head cold with sore throat, kept taking the zinc, on Sunday felt better but still tired, kept taking the zinc, on Monday felt about the same as Friday, stopped the zinc about halfway through the day, and today I feel great.

Without the zinc, colds like that have stayed with me for two or three really bad days, and several more not so good days. So to have escaped with one awful day and one not so good day (and only one training day compromised) is nothing short of amazing.

And the best thing is, it's not some kind of wonder drug or weird anti-retroviral. It's just zinc. Pretty cool.

I hadn't heard of or read any of Bryson's work, but I just read a snippet of "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid", and I can see how it would have you laughing (and swerving) all over the road.

TV is one of the few things I miss about having kids. I get to watch maybe two hours a week that isn't animated or accented Australian.

Mike said...

Hmmm, I'll have to look for a Bryson book to send along with the extra copy of Marathon and Beyond I was somehow sent. Here is a free audio excerpt of the book along with an interview with Bryson and some other stuff.

I'll be seeing115 soon enough, sigh.

Eric said...

Excellent. Thanks for the link. I will try to get it on my iPod for easy listening. Check this out. Just got one for the kitchen, and even Cindy agrees it is a nice gadget.

One out of one hundred ain't bad...