Ni!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

1:34:04 :: 15 miles

Workout. Alternating one mile easy (6:55 pace) with one mile at a modified tempo pace (5:55). I didn't like the on/off nature of this workout, but I think it was an interesting way to change the stimulus. A consistent eight mile tempo would have been mentally easier than alternating like this, so I suppose it is a good exercise for that reason as well. Here are the splits with average HR.

7:09(135) | 5:54(153) | 6:41(140) | 5:56(154) | 6:40(145) | 5:50(156) | 6:46(145) | 5:51(155) | 6:44(146) | 5:49(158) | 6:40(149) | 5:43(161) | 6:49(149) | 5:45(160) | 5:42(166)

Rather than finishing with a final easy mile, I kept up the tempo. I recovered to 120HR in 1:11. It felt fairly tough, but breathing seemed to be the limiter rather than the legs. A few more sessions of repeat miles closer to 10k pace should go a long way toward changing that. Good workout.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good. With patience, the paces will drop. Breaking it up to get you 10-15 seconds below goal pace is the key. If you need to shorten to 3-4 minute intervals and move up from there at first, that's fine too.

How did you feel with the long recoveries? Your heart rate on the slower miles was usually in the 140's. Did most of that recovery happen in the first 2-3 minutes, or did you need the whole mile to get the heart rate down?

Eric said...

I did something like what you mentioned here. Less volume, but pretty similar. Right now, 5:27 pace is right between LT and VO2 effort. A nice mix of the two. Gradually it should become much more a threshold effort.

I'd say the recovery happened in 60-90 seconds, but I'd have to upload the data from the watch to confirm. I wasn't paying close attention.

The long recoveries were actually kind of irritating. I'm used to running the faster efforts in a rhythm, and this really broke up the rhythm. My legs quickly found the right pace, but mentally it was weird slowing down. By the last quarter of each effort, I'd settle into a comfortable stride/breathing pattern, and then it was over, time for an easy mile. Each time I thought, 'this would feel better if I just kept going.'

I'll check the HR data. All of the listed HRs are averages for the whole mile, so I should be able to see where the HR re-leveled during each easy portion.

It was an interesting workout...marathon specific mile repeats with active rest periods.

Thanks for the feedback...good stuff!

Anonymous said...

Definitely good stuff. You're reaction to the long rest is what I expected to hear. No point in resting longer than you need to get the heart rate down. If you're just kicking around waiting for the next rep, shorten the rest. The goal it to hang out in aerobic threshold/VO2 max territory as long as you can before you hit the lactate threshold. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Michael said...

Nice workout. I’m with you on the changing pace, it takes me some getting use to. Not quite the miles you were doing, but here are a few similar workouts that I did last year (aces won’t mean much as your 5-k and 10-k times are much quicker).

2x5k alternate 3:30 & 3:40 km (10k, 1/2,10k, 1/2, 10k) with 6:45 mile between

9x(800 @ 2:45, 800 @3:00) continuous on the track