Ni!

Friday, November 02, 2007

39:55 :: 6 miles (2mi TT)

Time trial. Very tired and kind of lazy this morning, as I knew I didn't have to go to work today (staying home with the kids). I didn't get out the door until nearly 5:30, even though I was up before 4:00. With the lazy attitude and a 15mph wind seemingly coming from all directions, I didn't have high hopes for the TT, which is just as well so that it didn't turn into a race. The plan was to duplicate this workout, and with the exception of a couple of seconds, I think it went exactly to plan.

5:01.9(166) | 4:59.7(174)

The first mile felt about right, very similar to the rhythm of the 800s from a few days back. It was a second or two fast, so I tried to dial back a bit without losing the rhythm, but was not successful. I went through the third .5 mile at 2:28, again too fast, and dialed back the effort at that point. Just like the last workout, the last quarter mile or so was challenging, and, if I'm being honest, continuing for another half-mile at pace would have been in the cards, but no fun. Heart rates varied by a couple of bpm, which is accounted for in the increased speed.

It looks like I've held even since the end of August, which is another indicator, along with my mental state, that I am ready to hang up the racing flats for a few months and rebuild. I'm not looking past next week's race, but I am ready to be finished with it.

Ohana 1
65 miles



Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive TT. Based on this TT it looks like you might have a shot at your 5k PR. Any thoughts on this?

Eric said...

Thanks, Jim...that's quite a compliment!

I think, based on results like this and from earlier this summer in some solo efforts, I've been close to PR fitness for a while now. The problem has been finding the right race.

Plans are to go after big 5 and 10k PRs next year, after a winter buildup, and a spring marathon. We'll see...

Thanks for the comment--you made my day =)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

HI ERIC,
JUST RAN A FANTASTIC HILLY 8.5 MILE ROAD RACE, WITH 700FT OF CLIMBING AND 5 HILLS I WAS AMAZED TO AVERAGE 5.57 PACE.
THIS ARTHUR LYDIARD TRAINING IS JUST ACE!!!
P.S. I THINK YOU WILL BLITZ YOUR 10K TIMES NEXT YEAR IF YOU PUT IN A GOOD BASE.
HAPPY RUNNING