Ni!

Sunday, July 08, 2007

1:41:34 :: 15 miles

Long(er) run. Heart rate was up to mid-60s just standing around, so I did the first 9 miles around 7:00 pace (6:55 to 7:15 range) averaging 132HR, then gradually increased the effort to 6:35-6:45 (138HR) pace for four miles, then did the last two at a comfortable, strong tempo, in 6:15(149) and 5:29(163).

Legs felt great the whole run, and the last couple of miles felt another step above that. Perceived effort was similar to marathon pace, stride was fluid, etc. I found myself thinking about 5:30 as the 'new' marathon pace. If training goes well over the next year, I think that is a reasonable goal. Crazy to think now, but later, maybe not such a wild thought.

I have been wearing racing flats more often lately and on longer runs. One reason, I want to make a transition to a more minimal shoe, to strengthen my feet and legs as well as get some ounces off the ends of the levers. Another reason is I need to find a much less expensive shoe or a shoe that will last longer. Money is going to be tight over the next four years, and my plans include running more, not less, so I need to figure something out. Lydiard had some pretty strong opinions about the need for two inches of fluff strapped to the bottom of your foot (you don't need it), and I've read enough on the internet to know that most of the shoes on the market today generally make your foot less stable than it would be without shoes.

My $45 Asics 2080s are out of stock. Time to move on.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

8 comments:

Mike said...

Lydiard was also the guy who put rubber heel-lifts into Snell's shoes before Tokyo to cope with the cinder track and to keep the legs fresh through the preliminary heats. I don't think he was anti-cushioning so much as not in favor of too much stability. Someone will correct me here no doubt.

Eric said...

That's a perfect example of what the high heel will do to your legs over time. Adding a heel lift took the pressure off Snell's calves, keeping the muscles fresh for later. By extension, then, running everyday in a shoe that similarly takes the pressure off the calves will result in atrophy of those muscles (lack of power), or flat out failure (injury).

I agree with what you're saying, but the difference between Snell's lifted shoe and any of today's trainers is huge. My Asics look like high heels compared to the original Nike and Asics Tiger shoes that were popular in the 60s and 70s.

Anonymous said...

Try the Frees. They're minimal, good enough for 10 miles on dirt and last forever. A good alternate shoe anyway.

Eric said...

I've heard good things about the Frees, especially concerning durability. I tried a pair of Frees, and they gave me some immediate problems in the arch. For some reason, Nike shoes trigger arch problems for me within about three minutes of running. I wore Nike all through high school, but had to switch eventually due to arch pain. I've used Asics, Saucony, and Adidas since then with few problems.

Right now, I'm using these and my Asics Ohana racing flats a few days a week, and the Asics 2080s on the rest. Between cold baths, switching shoes, and getting on to grass more often, I should be on a path to stronger legs and feet, and fewer problems.

Mike said...

All right, I'm not going to open the can of worms. That being said, if you start talking POSE running I don't know what I'll do. Whatever you wear, just make sure it's something you can run a lot in and not get injured.

afuntanilla said...

with your speed and results, can you get a sponsor for the shoes.

(i have written ASICS twice for shoes and i have gotten them...not for sponsorship, but just because my running story is compelling)

Anonymous said...

Interesting re the arch problems. I use a soft arch support in my 1120s, but nothing in the Frees. There is a new Free which might be worth a look - the 3.0.

The Tigers do look minimal.

jpete said...

I use the Asics DS Racer, very durable and light shoes. They will last you longer than the Ohana guaranteed.