Ni!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

38:07 :: 5.55 miles | 48:16 :: 7.5 miles

Run, interrupted. Run was interrupted by work, so I ended up running once at 4:30am and again at 9:00am. The first was on the treadmill. Feeling kind of lethargic, and my calves were being a bit weird, so I decided I was going to take a day off of the 'speed' schedule and try to recover the calves a bit. I would compare the feeling to the way your throat scratches right before you get a cold. Not sore or painful, just a sense of something on the verge. Anyway, I felt tired in the legs and body.

The second run was very different--outside, in 40F temps with a firm breeze to keep me honest. After the first mile in 6:50, I slipped into the 6:20s for the rest of the run, and finished with just under half a mile in 2:45, about 5:45 pace, feeling comfortable and fluid. Felt much more energetic on this run. What a difference a couple of hours made.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

3 comments:

Ingo said...

I wonder sometimes what kind of lifes other people have when I read that you run at 4:30am, get interrupted by work (at this time of the day?) and then run again at 9:00am.

At 4:30am I think I am in the middle of my deepest sleep... when others are working out on a treadmill! Amazing.

I soon have to warm up to the idea of running before work and I am already scared. Getting up at 5am I normally only do when I have to catch a flight...

Eric said...

We get up early here! People think it's interesting that we wake up between 3 and 3:30am during the week to get our workouts done before the kids wake up, but then they get a good laugh when we tell them we go to bed by 7:30pm most nights. You can get up early, but you have to sleep sometime.

The part of my job where I have things to do at those hours REALLY BLOWS. No adapting to that. It's frustrating, and I can't say it doesn't happen too often, because it does.

Getting up early is much easier to do provided you adjust the end of the day FIRST. If you can commit to adjusting your 'to sleep' time by an equal amount to your 'wake up' time, you'll make the leap easily. I started getting up early in November 2005, and the hardest thing for me was being in bed by 10pm. I couldn't get myself to do it. I thought I was 'missing' something on TV, internet, in a book, etc. even though I was tired.

Once I got over my minor addiction to staying up later than necessary for no good reason, the waking up was a lot easier.

Good luck. You'll enjoy the mornings. I bet Tokyo is really quiet at 5am. haha!

Ingo said...

I loved to shift my schedule but living in Japan generally means working long hours. You're lucky if you can leave work before 8pm, and then there's dinner and time for partner and friends etc and you hardly go to bed before midnight. Although I am already dead tired at 10pm. Changing job or industry won't help much - I have to change countries if I really wanted a different lifestyle. But having that said, I see myself rather as a morning person and would normally have no problems waking up and running early in the morning (or in the middle of the night like you do it)
;-)