Ni!

Monday, March 26, 2007

1:12:35 :: 11 miles

Hills. Or at least as hilly a hill as I can find in the glacier-flattened Red River Valley--a highway overpass. I was able to find about a gradual 300+ meter hill with another 50m or so of flat/slightly downhill at the end. The GPS had it at .23 consistently, so it was somewhere between 370 (.23) and 385 (.24) meters. The goal was 6-8 reps at 5:25 pace, just a bit faster than current MP.

Three-plus miles to warm up in about 21 minutes, then seven times the hill. The first four went off without incident, feeling strong, hips forward, with a good straight leg out the back--feeling powerful. Then the last three were gradually more challenging, with the form breaking up a bit, and the lactate burn and high vents starting after 150-200 meters, rather than after 250-300m.

73(152) | 72(154) | 72(157) | 72(158) | 71(159) | 71(159) | 71(160)

Recoveries were just a jog back down, taking about 1:40, or 7:00 pace. Finished with 5.5+ miles easy.

Legs felt good, but I can tell they were used a bit differently today, which may result in some soreness. I'll try to keep active today at work, and maybe get a massage in later. Fun workout!

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

4 comments:

MB said...

not only fun, but sounds like a "solid" hill workout for your region

your training seems to be coming very nicely this time aaround, keep up the good work

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Where was the picture taken in the 'about me' section? It looks like a decent hill in the background - at least it looks more inviting than a highway overpass.

Regardless, as Mark said, sounds like a solid workout. Will you be repeating these over the next week or so?

Eric said...

Not to put too fine a point on this, but here is a link to where the picture was taken. It's a place called Hawksnest, near Sykeston, ND, childhood home of Jim Kleinsasser of the Minnesota Vikings, and Travis 'Pronk' Hafner of the Cleveland Indians. Thinking about Hawknest has me pining for the fjords...

Anyway, I love running there whenever I get the chance, but I don't get there too often anymore as it is more than two hours away, and usually when I am in the area it's to visit family and not to run.

These hill runs will become a fixture on Mondays for the next five weeks. Fundays.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Thanks, must be a great place to run. Pining for the fjords, the dead parrot skit has to be the best of all time, I never tire of it. Wake up Polly!!

On another note, I recently picked up a copy of Guns, Germs, and Steel and hope to start it soon. I have wanted to read this for a while now. Noticed it was on your 'about me' page.

Oh, I also saw U2 in Washington DC on their first US tour. The Waterboys opened up and it was undoubtedly the best show I have ever seen.