Ni!

Friday, March 02, 2007

1:11:04 ::11 miles

Marathon pace workout on treadmill. Two mile warmup (13:54), then seven miles at current MP (based on heart rate of 151-156) in 6:02, 6:03, 6:03, 6:05, 6:09, 6:10, 6:11. Adjusted the speed to keep HR around 155, which got tougher as the run went on. HR went as high as 159 for a short period, which was also around the time when I was feeling the best (mile 5 and 6). Seemed like the lower end, 151-153 was less comfortable than the 155-157 range. My form seemed to fall apart and breathing was a bit heavier. Interesting.

Good run. I can see this is going to take some concentration, but the effort was reasonable enough to do for quite a while. But, if this is what marathon pace feels like for the first twenty before it gets tough, I have a lot of work to do.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

2 comments:

Mike said...

That sounds like a real tough one to run on the treadmill, but with the current weather it sounds like there's no alternative.

With you just being at the start of the specific work, you have a long time to make marathon pace comfortable. I like your take of going by heart rate on these though, it might be a better indicator than pace at this point (especially if you're doing these over snow, ice and frozen hobos).

I'm a little familiar with the phenomenon of the pace feeling smoother and more comfortable at just a few clicks faster than optimal. Unfortunately, I sometimes ended up paying for it the day after. Hopefully you'll feel good tomorrow.

Nice run, I bet if you do the same thing next week it will already feel easier.

Michael said...

Excellent workout! Trying to keep the effort the same on those is difficult. I know what you mean when you mentioned feeling better at a faster pace (& higher HR), efficiency I guess…

Good luck with the training, I guess you’ll be starting to get into the bulk of he work soon.