Ni!

Friday, March 09, 2007

1:01:39 :: 10 miles (incl. 7 @ 5:46)

Moderate run. Finally! Shorts and a long sleeve! Thirty-six degrees with a 14mph SW wind is plenty warm after getting comfortable in -15 temps for a month. I forgot how good it feels to run outside without tights, jackets, facemasks, gloves, etc. Interestingly, this morning's weather will likely be very close to starting conditions for Fargo.

Two miles in 14:04 to warm up, then seven miles at 156-158 heart rate, which should be equivalent to current marathon pace minus ten seconds. I stayed on my 1200 meter loop, mostly north-south, which reduced the wind to the point where it didn't help or hurt the effort.

5:48(153) | 5:45(157) | 5:50(157) | 5:44(157) | 5:45(158) | 5:44(158) | 5:45(158)

I felt a small change in my breathing rhythm around the end of mile five, but otherwise the workout felt as consistent as it looks (not sure what was up with mile 3--probably a GPS thing). Just a steady effort, no difficulty at any point, feeling very similar to the 10 milers I was doing around 6:10-6:15 pace a couple of months ago. Felt very energized at the end, not tired at all. Heart rate recovered to 120 in 36 seconds, and to 110 in 59 seconds. One mile cooldown on the treadmill.

Good workout. It ended up a few seconds faster per mile than I expected, probably due to dropping a couple of pounds of clothing. I think that gives me a more accurate picture of my current racing fitness though, as I wouldn't be racing in all of my winter gear. Mentally, this was a nice result. Man, dragging all that extra crap around in -20 temps just makes you feel slow, no matter what fitness you might have. It was nice to finally get half-naked and run around in circles kinda fast for a while.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

3 comments:

Mike said...

What an improvement at the same heart rate over the 6:02-6:11 pace you ran for this workout last week. Sounds like the break in the weather is giving you a nice mental boost too. What, pray tell, do you have in store for us tomorrow?

Eric said...

Yeah, the treadmill running introduces a lot of cardiac drift I think due to heat buildup (65F basement versus 35F outside), as well as the different efficiency compared to 'real' running. Also, I think my treadmill is off by 8-10 seconds compared to outdoor running.

That said, the speed sessions have definitely increased my efficiency over the past two weeks. Huge difference.

We'll find out if today was just a good day or if I reached a new level after tomorrow's workout--sixteen miles, ten at 145HR(~6:35 pace) followed by six at MP, which, based on today's workout, is around 5:55 pace or 152-154 HR.

It should be interesting...

Abadabajev said...

On January 28, you covered 24 miles at an overall 6:25 pace with your winter gear on. Tomorrow's scheduled 16 miler should be a walk in the park.