Ni!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1:40:00 :: 14.4 miles

Easy medium-long run. Back to the cold again--minus 15 this morning, but almost no wind, which made it strangely tolerable. I almost didn't believe the Weather Channel.

Average HR of 138, which is getting better, especially with all the layers. Everything feels good, so an easy day tomorrow should leave me set up well for the weekend, where the goal is a solid 63 minute 10 miler on Friday and a followup 2:20-2:25 6:40 pace, long run on Saturday.

2 comments:

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

You should run the Yukon Arctic Marathon (http://www.arcticultra.de/en.php)
next month - you'd kick ass!

Looks like about 100 miles for the week. Are you aiming for consistant 100 mile weeks?

Eric said...

Any marathon where the winning time is over 15 hours is not a race for me. I like to think I'm a tough guy, but a race like that would bring me to tears pretty quickly. Actually, I was thinking that sounded like a good race for the Blind Moose Club! Sign up!

I'm hitting about 10.5 hours/92 miles for the last seven days, which is about the level I'd like to maintain for the last few weeks of base. The goal is to come in to the speed transition mentally and physically fresh, so I don't think of 100 as anything other than a nice round number.

More than anything, I'm aiming for *consistent* weeks--weeks that leave me feeling stronger and fitter rather than the other way around. That means being cautious with second runs (I decided against 10-12 extra miles this week, even though I wanted to do the runs), no racing workouts to meet or beat an arbitrary time goal, and pulling back on the reins a bit, even when I'm feeling good, being mindful of upcoming workouts.

Mystery Coach basics.

Cheers!