Ni!

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

54:30 :: 8 miles

Easy run. 1000s were on schedule today, but a little tweak in my hip after the run yesterday concerned me enough to put that off until tomorrow. Everything feels completely fine today, but I didn't want to take a chance. The workout is not so much for fitness--more for mechanical efficiency, so there's nothing to lose by putting it off a day. Anyway, on to what I did do. Six outside at around 6:25-6:30 pace, then two on the treadmill really easy. The legs felt kind of heavy and flat today, but at the same time, I caught myself sneaking into the sub 6:20 pace range during the run, and had to force myself to slow down a few times. Odd. Heart rate averaged 134 for the run, probably around 140 for the faster portion, which is still well within 'easy' range. Okay run.

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just curious, why the last two miles on the treadmill?

cindy said...

I can answer that one for you... because he is poky =)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like he needs to shave (or stop shaving).

Eric said...

She meant to say because I am slow. We wake up at 3:30, but I usually don't get out the door until 4:30 (or later, now that the mileage is getting lower).

The last couple on the treadmill is just because I have to be back in the house so she can go to work. It's good, though, because it forces me to slow down, and it's lower impact.

I do need to shave. I did. Now I don't. BWAH!

Anonymous said...

You both wake up at 3:30, then you get out the door at 4:30? Glad to see the fire is still stoked, my good man!

Michael said...

Hey Eric,

I was checking out the Fargo Marathon site today and noticed how flat the course looks, well done. That said, they mentioned making adjustments from last year as the wind had frustrated some racers... is that a real concern (I'm not familiar with the area)?

Good job on pushing back the 1,000s, many a runner (including myself) wouldn't have done that. Good luck tomorrow!

Cheers,

Eric said...

Fatboy, thanks, but I put my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. It's just that my pants have three legs.

That was terrible.

Michael, yes, the course is dead flat, which will eliminate any guessing about the course aiding or hindering the result.

The wind is always an issue in North Dakota. Last year there were 15-20 mile per hour winds (and rain and it was 45F), and the year before the wind was slightly better, but snowing/sleeting and colder, I believe.

My understanding is that they have routed the course through more residential areas and avoided exposed areas in an attempt to reduce the wind.

If we don't get a calm day, I am mentally ready for the challenge. I have run a lot of my workouts in horrible conditions, and, honestly, 40F, windy, and raining would be a nice day compared to what I'm ready for.

Now, 80F, humid, and calm...that worries me a little bit. =) Doesn't seem likely, but it does happen.