Ni!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

1:03:19 :: 10 miles

Taper workout. Practiced my marathon warmup and start. Five minute warmup, first few minutes around 7:00 pace, then ~30 seconds at 6:00 pace, one minute slow jog, ~20 seconds at race pace. Seemed to work really well--legs felt good.

Five miles followed, trying to practice a conservative start. The plan on paper was 5:55, 5:50, 5:47, 5:44, 5:42, and it worked out like so:

5:55(150) | 5:48(150) | 5:45(152) | 5:42(153) | 5:42(155)

Overall, a bit fast, and mile three is deceiving because through 1k, I was just under 5:40 pace. Aside from a couple of 'too fast' spots, the five miles was extremely comfortable and relaxed. If I can really stay calm and focused on my own race, I think investing 30 seconds from race pace up front with a conservative start will pay off at the end of the race.

Following the five, 1.77 miles at 6:15 pace to recover before 3x1000 on 5:00. Mystery Coach suggested a pace of 3:00-3:07, calling it a 'good solid rhythm', which I had a good solid laugh at. I know that I came around pretty quickly from the first 1000s workout from struggling a bit with 3:15s to being comfortable at 3:07s, but to get down to 3:00 without a jet pack seemed like a bit of a stretch.

I decided to go with the flow and to avoid looking at the watch until I was near the finish, not wanting to influence the pace, just trying to catch a comfortable stride at what felt like a 'good, solid' effort.

2:59(167-1:09) | 3:02(163-:59) | 3:04(162-:59)

The first rep really surprised me. Mystery Coach suggested last week that I could take out my college 10000m PR right now, and after the 2:59, I believe him. The speed was effortless. I dialed back just a little for the next two, and again avoided looking at the watch. With each rep, my stride felt smoother and more automatic--just a great feeling.

Four minute jog to cool down, then into the house for a recovery drink and a 50F bath.

All systems are go. I'm feeling absolutely fantastic, and I couldn't get any better feedback right now. While there are always unknowns in the marathon race, one thing I can be sure of is my fitness--it is as high as it has ever been. It will be very interesting to see how much of my fitness I am able to leverage on race day. Excellent workout.
Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

6 comments:

Evan Roberts said...

Sounds like you're feeling good. Best of luck for Saturday morning. Hope it all goes splendidly.

Patrick said...

You're in the zone right now. I think your plan to go out conservatively is prudent. With the workouts you've put in there is no doubt in my mind if you stay under control for the first half you are going to smoke the second 13.1. You're ready.

Patrick said...

Go get 'em Sundog! I think Richie and I will be there.

Chad said...

Have a great race!

Eric said...

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. It will be real and it will be fun. Real fun.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Well, you're rooty-tooty fit'n' frooty. Nothing random about the training. Nail it, buddy.