Ni!

Saturday, May 05, 2007

2:01:14 :: 20 miles

Long run with 10 at MP. Weather was ideal, except for a bit of wind--52F(11C), overcast and humid, with a 13mph(6m/s) east wind. It rained off and on during the run, mostly during the last fifteen minutes. If this weather shows up for Fargo, I will be like Crane Technique. I love using that Karate Kid quote: "Crane Technique. If do right, no can defense." Funny stuff. No? Hmmm. Moving on...

Mystery Coach's workout today was another 10/10, with the first ten slightly slower than last time at 6:30 pace, and the second slightly faster than last time at 5:40 pace. Instructions were to relax through the second ten and treat it like miles 5-23 of the marathon, only pushing the last three miles, but even then being careful to 'train, not strain'. Further, I was to limit my heart rate to a max of 164 throughout the second ten, even over the last few miles.

I try very hard to stick to what the Mystery Coach tells me. However, today I misread, and subsequently screwed up the workout. I normally have my wife read and interpret the e-mails to make sure I don't misunderstand, and of course today I didn't do that. I thought I was supposed to run the first seven MP miles in a relaxed fashion, staying below the 164HR, not worrying too much about pace, and then run the last three miles as if I was running the last three miles of the marathon, again, training, not straining. Seven miles relaxed, three miles controlled. Here are the splits:

[First Ten]
6:28(136) | 6:27(141) | 6:29(139) | 6:32(140) | 6:29(141) | 6:29(142) | 6:28(141) | 6:27(145) | 6:25(143) | 6:24(146)

[Second Ten]
5:49(160) | 5:43(161) | 5:45(160) | 5:39(161) | 5:40(162) | 5:38(163) | 5:38(165) | 5:38(166) | 5:34(169) | 5:29(170)

So, the bad thing--I didn't follow the instructions. But, it was an honest, stupid mistake. The good thing--I never got tired, didn't tie up, didn't have any mental issues (except the ongoing ones that have nothing to do with running) and I was well within tolerances for the whole run. The first time I did this run, the bear jumped on my back with three to go, and there was nothing I could do about it. Today, I think I may have outrun the sonofabitch!

Recovery to 130HR in 1:03, to 120HR in 1:40, and to 110 in 4:30. Standing around before the run was 55HR.

During the first ten I consumed a quarter liter of water, and during mile eleven I took in about 200ml of my carbohydrate drink, which is roughly 175 Calories of carbs. Following the run I did my typical recovery drink, then a 15 minute cold bath, and I have been sitting around ever since. The legs felt *great* after the run, and still feel very good right now. No stiffness, soreness, or any problems to speak of. I also should mention that I did today's run in my racing flats, and everything felt good. No blisters, even in wet shoes, and no calf issues of any kind. I am very confident the flats will not give me any problems come race day.

I'd like to think of this run as a confidence builder, but the German half of my mind is thinking that yesterday's eight miles with six a 5:45 pace was a bit easier than day one of the other back-to-back, and today's 6:30 early pace was 10-15 seconds slower than the other workout when I crashed with three to go. I find myself trying to be as realistic as possible in thinking these things out, and while today I think was very good, it may not be directly comparable, and may not be a run to draw any conclusions from. It was just what it was--a solid workout.

Have a good weekend!

Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

3 comments:

Lawrence said...

Great workout. From what I read, you're ready for the race....

I appreciate the details of your workout you put in your posts. Thanks.

Mike said...

OK, so a 5 on reading comprehension but a 9.5 on the workout. You did run 16 miles at or around marathon pace (within 2-3%) over the past two days, and that is saying something. The fact that you weren't tired at the end and still had some fight in you is also a good indicator.

This sounds like a great weekend of efforts, and I'm glad to read about you taking good care of yourself afterwards (cold bath, lots 'o recovery drink and staying off your feet). If you managed a nap too I might have to ask where you and Cindy shipped the kids off to.

Seriously though, I think how you rest from this point on is as or more important than the workouts in-between the rests.

At the end of the day your time and distance in the title of the post says it all. You're fast, stay that way through marathon day.

Michael said...

Fantastic w/I Eric, glad to see you feeling so well (and running smooth and confident). I did a very similar w/o 2 weeks out of London that left me feeling fantastic (but perhaps a tad tired). As such, I couldn’t agree more with what Mike said, “how rest from this point on is as or more important than the workouts in-between”. I think part of my problem in London was going in a little cooked. Take care of yourself and all the best in the following two weeks, and thanks for your comment yesterday (made easier as you and Mike agreed with each other).