Ni!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

52:00 :: 8 miles

Evaluation run. Sucked. Didn't feel bad or off or anything, but I guess I am having a bad day. Couldn't do it outside due to -30F air temp and fresh snow, so I was back on the mill.

Today
3mi warmup 20:40
5:54(152) | 6:04(152) | 6:07(153) | 6:09(153)
recHR 130-:34 | 120-:57 | 110-:80

12.30.2008
3mi warmup 21:13
5:43(152) | 5:53(152) | 5:57(152) | 6:07(153)
recHR 130-:35 | 120-:49 | 110-:71

Quite a difference, so this was no fun. I have definitely added some mileage the past two weeks, so hopefully that is the madness behind the mildness of the last couple of runs. Mystery Coach did mention that as I got more fit, the pace would start to even out, which seems to be happening here. Or maybe that's wishful thinking. Have a good day!

4 comments:

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Look on the bright side - you didn't get taken down by the S.W.A.T. Team. Or the A-Team for that matter.

Brrrrrrrrr

Do you think there is a 1:1 correlation with an evaluation run on the mill as opposed to the roads?

I realize that you established a baseline for comparison of subsequent evals on the mill, will you also try to do a comparison between the mill and the road? This may help put one or another into perspective.

Sorry, the researcher in me is poking his head out.

Eric said...

Yeah, definitely looking forward to determining the correlation between indoor vs. outdoor evals, especially after today. I really wanted to hit the roads this morning but it would have been even more disappointing, I'm sure. I don't think it will be 1:1, but I would hope it's very close. I'm expecting a positive change in the second half outdoors due to less heat buildup, but we'll have to see.

It's still difficult for me to believe I'm seeing better numbers after the summer I've had (injury, etc.), so I'm really looking forward to getting outside soon.

Mystery Coach said...

"Mystery Coach did mention that as I got more fit, the pace would start to even out, which seems to be happening here."

Well yes and no so some clarification: As your distance fitness improves and your speed fitness declines (which is what we are looking for in this phase) the pace evens out. This evaluation looks better to me than the one on Dec 30th (from a distance fitness point of view). It is indicating that you're becoming better at maintaining balance under moderate stress.

Last year your best (from a distance fitness point of view) evaluation was on March 4th (6:03,6:06,6:05,6:07). The HR responded quickly to the moderate stress in the first mile then stabilized almost perfectly. At that point you were ready for speed fitness training (which if done correctly subtracts 20 seconds per mile at racing speeds)

Eric said...

That said, it's instructive to look at this post to visualise what Mystery Coach is talking about. The table of evals is for nearly the same training period in 2008.

Thanks for the clarification, coach!