Ni!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

1:12:00 :: 10.2 miles

Easy run. Interesting run. About half a mile in, I came across a police blockade covering about two city blocks. No cops were in the cars, and there was an ambulance in the middle, so I assumed it was just to prevent cars from entering the narrow street and getting in the way of the ambulance. I kept running down the street and got about halfway down when a police officer came walking out into the street rocking a very tactical looking .223 rifle. I slowed down and kind of half threw up my hands, and asked, "Am I okay to be running here?". He looked back at me and goes, "You are now.", and kept walking.

Wow. What the FUCK!

I called the police station later, and asked what was going on to require that kind of hardware on scene, and the supervisor said it was for 'safety reasons', which makes me wonder how 'safe' it is less than half a mile away from my house. I don't know about you all out there, but I'm not that comfortable with police on a medical assistance call carrying automatic weapons down the middle of the street. It's not like we're living in Beit Hanoun here. Holy shit, people.

3 comments:

Ewen said...

Did you take your balaclava off? ;) That's one of those things where we say "only in America", although now our police are trialing tazers! I should practise running with my hands up.

Sky said...

Man, I'm so glad I got out of that crime mecca when I did.

Unknown said...

We have police that carry no weapons (not even mace). It seems to work - one of the lowest homicide rates in the world - no. 59 in the world - On the running - I think our recent cold snap of -2 dec C is cold!