Ni!

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

55:00 :: 8.5 miles

Mini-taper workout. Missed out on doing it yesterday--wasn't putting it together that the race was on FRIDAY and not Saturday--so I cut it a little bit short.

Two mile warmup
3 miles at ~MP
5:50(146) | 5:45(152) | 5:39(156)
One mile steady
6:20(147)
3x1000m on 5:00
3:09(164-:65) | 3:04(163-:65) | 3:08(165-:72)
Short cooldown

Felt comfortable, but overall not very energetic. 1000s were definitely better as far as stride and mechanically feeling faster, but energy level was low, so they didn't feel particularly easy. I described this feeling last year as 'running through toothpaste'. After reading some of last year's workouts, I am encouraged that things will come around quickly, so I'm not stressing at all. Still a good workout!

Man, what an 800 in the Olympic Trials! Even though he didn't get through to the Olympics, KD is still the man. I have a lot of respect for him based on the interviews I have seen. He is a class act.

3 comments:

Sky said...

Looks like a good tune-up workout, Eric. Yep, KD sure is a classy guy. What I want to know is how in the hell did Symmonds get out of that spot at 620m? I saw a little shove but come on. An experienced 800 guy shouldn't have let him get through that hole. I love critiquing the 800 with my 2:09 PR. And that Wheating kid - at NCAA's and the trials finals he's looked like he's running a different race than everyone else on the outside of the track. Weird.
Hopefully there'll be some good fireworks in that 1500, too!

Eric said...

Yes, the 800 at the world level is a different beast. I would be willing to bet Symmonds is going eat some Mondo if he tries that move anywhere outside the States. As long as we're talking tactics, KD cooked his own goose allowing Smith to get by on the inside. I'm really surprised he wasn't aware Smith was inside of him. If KD fades into lane one instead of out, he is on the Olympic team right now. Bummer, because I think he would race better in the Olympics than any of the three who are going.

I'll say it right now--Wheating doesn't make it out of the first round with that ridiculous 50 meter kick out in lane 4 that he uses.

UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Eric - Seems like maybe a little fatigue is creeping in?

Having never run track, its very enlightening to see this discussion about the trials...sounds like a battlefield out there. I wonder if Deena ever thought about knocking Tomescu into the ditch during the '05 Chicagao Marathon...