Ni!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

50:00 :: 7.4 miles

Workout. 1-10 x 1000 in 3:10-3:20 on 5:00. Checking the marathon recovery, looking for a solid comfortable stride. Slight north wind (6-8mph) and 52F with a bit of mist/rain--really perfect weather for running. Felt really good through five, then form started to loosen up and legs tired a bit on six, so I stopped. Recovery to 120HR was excellent, so I would say I'm very well recovered from the marathon at this point.

3mi warmup 20:00

Key: 1000m(avgHR-120HR)
3:10(160-:40) | 3:09(160-:48) | 3:08(163-:61*)
3:09(164-:54) | 3:07(165-:59**) | 3:07(164-:48)
* HR was 114 following Garmin lockup
** HR was 115 following Garmin lockup

Garmin HRM locked up following two of the repeats. This has become a fairly common problem lately. Not sure what the cause is, but it is annoying. Went a bit faster on these than Mystery Coach suggested, but the speed felt how he suggested it should, so I wasn't too worried about one or two seconds. I figured I would be good for a max of eight reps today, and more likely six, and it worked out just right. I was just looking to feel comfortable running near 10K pace, and, most importantly, demonstrate good recovery from the marathon.

With both of those goals accomplished, I am excited about moving forward! The last 10 days or so have been somewhat boring, and I'm even getting a little soreness and some weird pains in my hamstrings and ankle from running easy every day. Time to switch gears...

5 comments:

Mike said...

When I do these 1000's on 5 minutes I tend to go a bit faster than the suggested paces too. I'm with you on running where it feels comfortable stride-wise, but I'm wondering whether 10 at 3:15-3:20 comfortable would be better than 6 at 3:06-3:10.

I'm guessing it depends on the purpose of the workout, and it seems with your focus on recovery heart rate that seeing how quickly you bounced back was more the goal of the day rather than stimulating your "speed glands".

Eric said...

These were quite comfortable, and based on the HR recovery, I could have easily gone for all ten. Based on past experience, my HR recovery probably would have gotten even better by the tenth rep than the sixth.

But, I ran this under a couple of directives: in general, relax the intensity until summer, and, specifically for this workout, pay close attention to the legs, and stop the workout quickly when I feel them fall into 'disarray'.

I applied both to this morning's workout, and was very happy with the result. I don't think slowing down and doing more would have showed me anything different. In fact, I'm happy that I found that 'deflection' point at six, rather than getting all the way to ten and not finding it because I ran slow enough to avoid it.

Mystery Coach may be able to shed some light on whether one is 'better' than the other, but my goal going in was to find a solid rhythm, do 1-10 reps, check HR recovery, and monitor my muscular recovery (legs) closely. All of those goals were met, so it was a good day.

Thanks for the comment/question!

Mystery Coach said...

"speed glands"! I'm going to put that one in my book.

The intent of the workout was to test the upper fibers (the ones hardest to be recruited and slowest to recover). Eric could have run easy runs for weeks without challenging his upper fibers (only challenged by long runs or volume speed workouts)and have no information on how the upper fibers were doing. Getting above the pace you could maintain for 1 hour pulls a lot of those fibers into play (What Dr Jack Daniels calls tempo pace) and it would show up quickly if they were in disarray ( the pace would slow, the HR would spike, etc). Eric's profile looks like he has mostly recovered and can start harder workouts and or racing.

Anonymous said...

it was nice seeing you during my morning run eric. thankyou for the inspiration and for putting grand forks on the running map. i'd like to see you run another marathon, maybe bismarck in september.

Ewen said...

Not sure about the Garmin (which I just use for distance), but with the Polar, I make sure the strap is 'extra' tight (easy because the whole thing is elastic) - again, I think it's a contact thing and contact seems to be not as good when the chest relaxes after hard efforts. I used to get weird readings when relaxing on a downhill after a hard uphill.