Ni!

Thursday, February 21, 2008

1:14:00 :: 10 miles

Easy run on the treadmill. Minus 17F, 13mph wind. It just keeps going.

I got this in the e-mail yesterday, which was kind of awesome. Something to think about.

A few months ago, I applied for PowerBar Team Elite or Super Team or Team MegaZord or some such. As expected, I got turned down. But, I did score a six pack of PowerBar gels for the application. Very kind of them--and tasty.

This time around I may experiment with gels. Last year, I used a custom powder mix, by InfinIT. I used it for the Fargo Marathon and the Beardsley Half Marathon, and it worked really well both times. I especially like that it's not full of food coloring and wacky flavors (Mango Passionfruit? Really?). What's cool about this stuff, is you can mix it with very little water, and the powder is super fine, so it will actually dissolve and turn into a gel. Then you just take water like you would with any other gel, and off you go.

I could also go with the prepackaged gels. Not sure yet. I like the flexibility of the powder, and being able to tweak my own recipe, but the convenience of packaging and no mixing or mess is attractive, too. There's still plenty of time to experiment.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

I'm freezing just thinking about those temperatures. For once I don't envy you.

If the InfinIT powder worked so well, I wouldn't change to gels. I do use gels from time to time, but I find those packets just a little bit too small, and I hate the litter when others throw them to the ground mindlessly.

Ewen said...

Go the gels - five of them will get you a 2:04:26 (but you'd also need perfect pacing for sub-2:04).

Michael said...

Spring is on the way… really, hang in there! Still, it’s nice to see you getting in the miles even if they are on the mill.