Ni!

Monday, February 25, 2008

1:00:00 :: 9.1 miles

Easy run with speed. WooT! First week of workouts. Today was just a mile or so of speed reps with long recoveries.

(15 minute warmup)
.40mi - 2:00
(15 minute run recovery)
.25mi - 1:08
.20mi - :55
(15 minute run recovery)
.13mi - :35
.12mi - :33

Everything was between 4:30-5:00 pace, and it all felt surprisingly smooth. Nothing like last year when I tried this same workout for the first time.

More of the same tomorrow, then my first MP workout of the build on Friday!

I cannot stress enough how good that 10 day cutback in mileage was for me. I felt bad about it at the time, feeling like I was caving in and whining about the weather, but it turned out to be a perfect time to back off and consolidate gains.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Eric, it's Jill, Karna's friend from Illinois. I've been laughing reading your blog today for the first time since summer. A good long run this winter has been any run without a fall, a falling running partner (record was 4 down in one run), or frozen body parts. I'm feeling your -33. Had a glimpse of spring for last weekend's long run (think it was 18-ish) and felt like a gazelle on the African savana. The ground HAS to thaw sometime...right?

Eric said...

Hey Jill! Good to hear from you. Sorry to hear you and your running partners have been falling down so much. Quick tip--in my experience, cutting out the alcohol before and during running made a *huge* difference in how often I fell down, and a *substantial* increase in the number of times I got back up from those falls.

I was also able to establish that getting smashed after the run made no difference at all, so I've stuck with that for now.

Seriously, though, the last time I saw four go down in one run was during a beer mile. You must run with a horizontally-oriented crowd. =)

It is amazing that temps like 18 above can make you want to run 20 miles in a t-shirt. The cold seriously warps one's mind.

I hope your running is going well, and your spring is sprung sooner than later. Take care!

Anonymous said...

That is one of the funniest things have read all day.

Unknown said...

hi eric,

good work! your posts and attitude are inspiring.

is your mystery coach the same as Mike in AZ (running with lydiard,
http://championseverywhere.blogspot.com/)?

i live in wisconsin and agree the winter has been hard. i ran on the trails and decided against "sharing " them with snowmobilers, so i've been mostly on the treadmill.

amr

Eric said...

Thanks, Richie. You can't lose with drinking jokes.

Thanks amr, much appreciated. Yes, Mystery Coach is the same for both of us. Unless he has passed the mask without telling me. haha

Fortunately the trails around here are paved and illegal to snowmobiles. It won't be much longer and the trails will be yours again. One day at a time...

Cheers!