Ni!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

1:06:32 :: 10 miles

Busted workout. Set out to do 4x1 mile with one mile jog recovery at 5:08 moving down toward 5:02, but only did the first one [5:08(162)]. Two mile warmup did not feel good, but like I have mentioned before, sometimes that precedes an amazing workout. Not today. The 5:08 felt like a 4:48. The first .25 worked out to only 5:12 pace, and the vents were way too hard. I finished out the rep, ran an easy seven miles to close out the run, and decided to try again tomorrow and hope for a better day.

An interesting heart rate anomaly this morning during the warmup (actually during a few runs in the last ten days or so). My heart rate will go from 50-52 standing around, and then for the first mile or so, the HR goes as high as the high-180s, which is higher than my max (??). The monitor doesn't seem to be flaking out, because if I stop running, it will quickly go back down to the 70s. A quick check of the wrist pulse indicated that it was truly in the ballpark of 170-180. I've heard of this before, but usually it's accompanied by some really uncomfortable feelings and just feels wrong. I feel totally normal. This goes on for the first mile or a bit longer, then over the course of a minute or so, the HR comes back down to a pace appropriate number (i.e. 7:00 pace, in the mid-120s). Weird.

And, just to explain further what kind of day it has been, the starter went out on my '98 Accord today (finally! 161K miles). This is the first part I have had to pay for in the six years I have owned the car. Pretty amazing. $350 for a starter. Pretty amazing. The Honda place had it installed and back to me in less than three hours. Pretty amazing.

Alright, that is pretty annoying. Later.
Run Two | Weather | Supplemental | Nutrition | Sleep | Injury

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

Well, you can't complain too much about your Honda after 161K miles, and it seems you don't have too many "busted workouts.

Two good machines.