Ni!

Monday, December 15, 2008

2:29:00 :: 22 miles

Long run on the treadmill. I'm still having all kinds of pains and cramps on the right leg/ankle/foot. Today was the strangest yet, as I went 13 miles with quite a bit of tightness and some pain in my leg, foot, and toe, but then within a few minutes after passing 13 miles, everything went pretty much normal through to the end. I even did a few strides over the last four miles (4x.3mi @ 5:30 pace) and had no problems. Didice bath for the lower legs after just for the recovery aspect. Legs felt great all day, no cramping or anything. Pace was pretty solid, about 6:50s overall, so I was pretty excited about the run, and especially feeling so fresh during and after.

Since I have been on the treadmill, I've been taking 100kcal of nutrition during the last ten miles, and I have to say, I think it makes a huge difference in performance during the run and recovery afterwards. I still think there's some value in occasionally doing a long run without fuel and stressing the system that way, but in general, I'm thinking you get better workouts when you fuel the body adequately throughout.

3 comments:

Thomas said...

So then, what do you take for your 100kcal of nutrition?

Eric said...

I don't think I can post images in the comments, so I'll put them into another blog post. I get the powdered mix from InfinitNutrition.us. This is what I've used for both of my marathons, and many of my hard training efforts. For recovery, I used to use SlimFast, but now I'm using chocolate milk. Seems to do the same thing, and is much cheaper.

Ewen said...

That's encouraging. Good that you were running more than 13 miles.

Thanks for the fuel info (not that I'm running those distances at the moment). Recovering well from the run would be a big bonus. It used to take me 3 days to recover from those long runs.